Sunday 11 August 2013

Chinatown

Twelve of us sketched in Chinatown yesterday, and they threw a street party in our honour.  Maybe the party was going to happen anyway, but it certainly made it a lively place, with thousands of people on two blocks, food stalls, dancers and some amazing music with amplified traditional Chinese instruments - I recognized Funkytown, La Bamba and Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas.
The Sun Yat-Sen gardens were quieter when I drew the fellow communing with his Tim Horton's coffee.  A little girl visiting the gardens with her parents was fascinated by my painting.  She watched from in front of me for a while, then climbed up the bench behind me, then leaned on my back to look over my shoulder. Fortunately she eventually saw a turtle in the lily pond, which was even more fascinating than me and my bright colours.


No comments:

Post a Comment